Click any of the photos below to see a larger version and scroll though the photo gallery
Canora is nestled at the junction of Highways 5 and 9 in east-central Saskatchewan and is home to approximately 2,500 residents.
“Ca No Ra” became a village in 1905 and was incorporated as a town in 1910. It was named using the first two letter of each word in Canadian Northern Railway. Today, Canora is situated at a crossroads of CN Railway lines.
Canora is known as the Heart of Good Spirit Country as a result of its proximity to several lakes and parks, including Good Spirit Lake, Crystal Lake, and Duck Mountain Provincial Park. The area hosts Saskatchewan’s greatest number of golf courses per capita.
The community was previously named one of the top 10 places in Canada to retire by CARP Magazine. Canada's Association for the 50 Plus considered many factors in compiling its list, including climate, quality of life, cost of living, transportation, retail services, health care, community services, cultural, educational and recreational activities as
well as crime rates and public safety.
Chase Kraynick Pay it Forward Splash Park
This splash park is a place where friends and family of any age are able to engage in healthy, barrier free fun while creating memories to last a lifetime. This splash park is comprised of a 3,400 sq ft concrete pad with 18 splash components themed to reflect all the things Chase loved (farming, sports and the great outdoors).
Canora in Bloom
Canora in Bloom is Canora’s infamous annual summer festival that attracts many tourists to our community. Running during the third week in July every year the festival features events such as a Walk off your perogies event, family fun swim, street dance, summer fun spot, golf night, an old fashioned picnic, and numerous dinners and suppers hosted by local community groups.
Winter Lights Festival
The Winter Lights festival runs during the first week in December every year, and allows Canora and area residents to celebrate winter in Saskatchewan! The festival has become a highly anticipated event in Canora featuring events such as a family skate with Santa, dance competition, family movie night and an evening parade followed by a community bonfire and a spectacular fireworks display. The event is fueled by community spirit and centers around the beautiful Christmas light displays decorating Main Street throughout the winter months.
Canora CN Station House Museum & Visitor Centre
100 Railway Avenue
Call 306-563-4591 or email@example.com
Open May to September daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The facility is the oldest Class 2 railway station still operating in Saskatchewan. The museum displays CN Rail memorabilia and various artifacts, sells local souvenirs and provides tourist information. Churchill tour information is available at the museum, and Via Rail service to Winnipeg and Churchill is available three times a week.
Ukrainian Heritage Museum
215 Main Street
The museum depicts all aspects of Ukrainian culture. The informative volunteers will provide a fantastic tour that includes learning about Ukrainian heritage resources, memorabilia and artifacts.
Ukrainian Orthodox Heritage Church
710 Main Street
This church showcases restored Kievan Byzantine stained glass and architecture. Originally constructed in 1928 the church served its congregation until 1963. It was designated a heritage site in 1984 and under went a major restoration that was completed in 2000. The Ukrainian Heritage Museum and Ukrainian Heritage Church have limited hours for viewing; however a list of names and numbers is posted at the site to arrange a tour.
Contact the Visitor Centre at 306-563-4591 for more information
Canora has created a self-directed walking tour of six major sites, including Canora���s Welcome Statue, Antique People, Station House Museum, Toy and Autograph Museum, Ukrainian Heritage Museum and Ukrainian Orthodox Heritage Church. Walking tour brochures are available at the town office, Visitor Centre and various locations throughout the community.
Canora’s Welcome Statue
Norway Road/Service Road South
Canora’s welcome statue, Lesia, is a 15 foot statue of a lady dressed in traditional Ukrainian attire. Lesia holds a loaf of braided bread known as kolach along with salt, which is a welcome ceremony in the Ukrainian culture. Lesia was created by Canora resident Nicholas P. Lewchuk and his son Orest. The statue was unveiled on September 3, 1980 by Right Honorable Edward Schreyer, Governor General of Canada. Construction of Lesia took over a year and she weighs over 4,000 pounds.